Tuesday, January 6, 2009

A New Year, A New Class


Our abundant December snowfall, coupled with the holiday season, kept our hula class from meeting for several weeks. We'll gather again on January 8. Hugs all around, I'm sure.

Once the snow melted on the last weekend of December, our 'ukulele class was reunited, also with hugs all around. After being confined to our homes by huge snowdrifts, it was fantastic to see some fellow humans (other than the ones we live with). We met again last Sunday and even had a little spiked eggnog to go with the strumming.

This week another class began for me, the continuation of the Hawaiian language class I'm taking as distance learning adult education from Kamehameha Schools in Honolulu. This is my second course; my first was in November. There was actually an introductory class before that, which I missed. But from the Hawaiian I learned in two one-week intensive classes from a teacher visiting from Honolulu, Tuti Kanahele, I was able to keep up.

I really enjoy the online language class and all the multimedia aspects of it. There are lots of background articles, photos, videos, songs, as well as interactive quizzes and games to make learning Hawaiian even more fun. On top of all that, Kamehameha Schools rewards people for finishing their classes with lovely gifts! From my efforts in November I received a green A'o Makua (adult education) T-shirt, which I wear to the gym; a children's book about the life of Bernice Pauahi Bishop, the Hawaiian princess who was the founder of Kamehameha Schools; and my favorite gift, a Hawaiian Word-A-Day calendar. Today being Iänuali 6 (January 6), the word of the day is 'alani, which means orange (the fruit and the color).

Can't wait to see what my reward for finishing this month's class will be!

No comments: