Friday, October 16, 2009

Bruddah Iz

Last night at hula class my Fun Fact was about Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, more commonly known as Iz or Bruddah Iz.

We are learning a new hula, to the tune of "Papalina Lahilahi" (Dainty Cheeks), as sung by the Makaha Sons of Ni'ihau. When I listened to the music I thought I recognized a certain angelic voice. Sure enough, it was Iz. He and his brother belonged to the Makaha Sons of Ni'ihau before Iz went solo in 1990. Of course, he is now best known for his rendition of "Somewhere Over The Rainbow/Wonderful World," which he recorded in one take one night in 1993. It catapulted him from local to international fame.

He was born on O'ahu in 1959. His family name, Kamakawiwo'ole, literally means fearless face or fearless eyes. He was named Israel for reasons I don't know. At first I thought perhaps his parents had given all their children biblical names. Then I learned that Iz's big brother was named Skippy.

There is no Book of Skippy in the Old Testament.

When Iz was about 10 the family moved to the town of Makaha, on the leeward side of O'ahu. Iz was sitting on the beach one day playing his 'uke when he met a few of the guys who would one day become members of the group he and Skippy formed when Iz was 17. The group was together for 15 years and during that time recorded 10 albums.

Iz and Skippy's mom was from Ni'ihau; hence the name of the group. Both brothers struggled with obesity. Iz kept vowing to drop a few hundred pounds or so, but he kept getting bigger and bigger. At his maximum weight, he tipped the scales at 757 pounds. He was 6'2". Complications of obesity claimed Skippy in 1982 when he died of a heart attack at age 28.

Iz lasted 10 years longer than that, dying at age 38 in 1997. Toward the end, he had to be raised on stage by a forklift and breathe oxygen from a tank. He left a wife and 14-year-old daughter. His body lay in state in a koa wood coffin in the State Capitol. He was cremated and his ashes were scattered in the Pacific Ocean.

In his earlier years he had been addicted to drugs, but he managed to beat that. In fact, for a while he toured schools to deliver a "Say No to Drugs" message. My 'ukulele teacher remembers seeing him when he visited Hilo High School, where she was a teacher. That was before he was famous and she didn't know anything about him. She said she took one look at him and said, "Ho! Dat guy really big, yeah!" She said he said to the students: "Hey, kids. You no do drugs, 'kay?" And then he began singing and playing his 'ukulele.

On YouTube videos of him I am always amazed to see him cradling that tiny instrument against his leviathan body and then making heavenly music, accompanied by his angelic voice.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Susan,

I first fell for Bruddah Iz unknowingly, thinking the rendition of "Somewhere over the Rainbow" was done by Randy Newman at the end of "50 First dates"

It wasn't until this past weekend I started searching out the song due to needing some cheering up after a rather taxing week.

I then discovered there is a treasure trove of his material, like "white Sandy Beaches," "In this Life," "Hawaii 78" etc...

Iz was also for all things Hawaiian & Hawaiian at Heart, many of his works in his solo career were about his native Hawaiian heritage & bringing it to the forefront in Hawaii.

Good Luck with your Hawaiian Studies! Remember practice does not make perfection only perfect practice does!

Tom

Unknown said...

I have always loved genuine voices that speak with clarity and purity. Iz had one of those voices. The orchestration only enhanced his presentation.
Authenticity is perfection. I am sorry Bruddah Iz has left this earth, but he left his music. Aloha and Mahalo..until we meet again

Pamela Thompson said...

I can across somewhere or the Rainbow with Iz singing it for the Frist time. I felt like I was a hearing a voice of a Angel he touched my Heart like so many many more people that loved this as I do in one song. Then I realized he has sang many songd and not just sang them he put magic in them he put love in them. I am buying his music now. I also saw he ashes being put in the ocean on a video. I realized he had passed along time ago this broke my Heart. Then reading most of his family past like his brother Skippy at 28. I know Iz and Skippy are singing with the Angels and playing the ukulele. The was they played for us down here. We are Blessed and God Bless. Like IZ said once we are one race the Human one. Live with unconditionally love.